Monday, July 31, 2006

job changes

I find myself searching for medical jobs on the internet, but to no avail. I think a lot about what an ideal physician job would be for me. I like practicing psychiatry very much. There are not many places where a doctor can spend a full hour with all her new patients. The clinic I work in now appreciates my work, but can offer me only a few hours a week. I am a family practitioner, with 20 years of practicing psychiatry in a primary care context. I'm lucky to have any work as a psychiatrist. Not likely to find other positions like the one I have. So I think about other options, and wonder what an ideal practice might look like.

I like to talk with patients, sorting through their histories, symptoms, needs, desires, diagnostic possibilities, test results and treatment options. I don't care if I never do another pap smear. I don't particularly enjoy doing physical exams. I like to consult with people, reviewing their records, explaining things. Sort of a mendical translator.

But in the end, what stops me from trying to create something like that is that I'm a physician. If I make a mistake I can get sued. In family practice patients get sick, no matter how hard I might try to prevent it. They will die, as we all do, despite the best efforts of any doctor. Angry family who do not know me may sue me, not understanding the kind of relationships I have with my patients. In the end, no matter what I do, I feel like a failure. I would just like to talk, consult, treat the patient like a colleague, educate them about what is going on with their bodies and minds, and let them make their best educated choices. Then I can feel more like a partner and not the boss.

Is there such a thing as a medical decision making coach? One who educates about illness, the way the body works, and treatment options, and then releases the patient back to their physician for their treatment? If there is, please let me know.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lysnekate said...

I think a medical decision-making coach is an awesome idea. It's so difficult to sort through all the information from all the different doctors and make an educated decision... Someone with your view would be invaluable.

Maybe an insurance company? Have you looked to the American Family Practice (is there such a group) for some guidance? Isn't that what a family practice doc should be doing???

If that's what you want to do - go ahead!

August 08, 2006 10:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home